This morning the kids woke up happy (that happens when you sleep all night) and played well. They were running around & each doing their own thing till Ella remembered she had a picture to finish coloring. That's when I stopped cleaning the kitchen and observed. Vance loves Ella & wants to do whatever she is doing. Once he realized she had stopped running around and was coloring he immediately climbed up into a chair to color a picture like her. They colored for a long time. If Ella put the cap on the end of the marker Vance did it. If she held her marker a certain way, so did Vance. What she said or did Vance copied it. I love that right now that behavior is not annoying to Ella and it is just so precious to their mommy. Things got a little less pleasant when Vance needed help getting the cap off the purple marker. He said, "Ella help please." She noticed the color and said, "I need that marker. I was just going to use purple. Vance don't you want this marker?" Vance, "No. Ella help please." Ella, "Vance you want the green marker." Vance, "No." This continued through 2 other suggested colors and the same response by Vance. Ella took the cap off the purple marker & colored less than a second. Just long enough for Vance to begin to show his displeasure and her to realize she was not going to get her way this time.
The coloring & adorable interaction ended shortly after that when Vance showed his picture to Ella for her approval. She was the supportive big sister and told him how great it was. She even had the "wow" facial expression. They truly have a special bond. They love each other so much & I love watching them together.
The rest of the day was pretty normal, except we did run to a couple of stores & they were great!
The ending they had been looking forward to for a few days now. Our neighbors & good friends came over for movie night. I popped popcorn & my friend made them banana pops (a frozen banana on a stick). The kids were in their pajamas with their pillow pets. Which ironically Cara has the same one as Ella & Erik has the same one as Vance. Vance didn't quite get that one. He wanted to hold Erik's pillow pet. Erik being the nice older friend let him. They all snuggled on the couch and watch Curious George. They were quiet, still & eating their snacks while my friend & I talked. 
Then with about a quarter of the movie left they were all suddenly unable to sit still. What was the problem? They were all getting tired & didn't want to fall asleep. Too bad they don't understand just how nice it is to close your eyes and drift off to sleep while chilled on the couch. Maybe one day:-) Even with some wiggles they managed to hang on till the end of the movie. They said their goodbyes while Erin & I made plans to do this again.
Now I am not an unrealistic mother who truly thought 4 kids from ages 6-2 should sit still for over an hour watching a movie. I was just selfishly hoping they would & dreamed they would just fall asleep. It clearly didn't happen but they had fun with their friends & I enjoyed my time with my friend.
I am so thankful God allowed us to live 2 doors down from our good friends. I am thankful for my two children! I am thankful for the day...and that as soon as I post this I am going to sleep. God is good to me.
No comments:
Post a Comment