A Successful First Camping Trip

A Successful First Camping Trip

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Sweet Play Time

I had the best morning playing with Ella. Vance was there too but he was just doing his own thing.
Ella decided she was going to cook me some apple pie. She wanted to know if I wanted pepper or milk on my apple pie. It was her creation so I told her whatever she thought was best. Then after she asked another time about milk I finally said, "I like ice cream on my apple pie." I tried to get her to use her imagination and get the ice cream out of the refrigerator but she wasn't going for that. Then the light bulb went off. She remembered she had ice cream cones in her food box. She took the ice cream off the cone but said the pie wasn't ready yet.
Before eating she covered my legs with a blanket and gave me a spoon. Then she handed me her delicious apple pie with ice cream. I began eating it & she felt it needed something more and poured syrup over top. I occasionally shared my pie with Vance as he walked by and she shared her piece with Baby Sharon (her baby doll). Once I was finished she gave me another piece with ice cream & syrup. Then she kept giving me the "last bites" of her piece of pie. When we were finished we placed our bowls & spoons in the dishwasher and the ice cream in the imaginary trash can that was between us. I love that in the pretend world you can eat as many pieces of apple pie with ice cream as you want.
This alone was fun and special but the play continued. Next we had story time where she read a few books each one began with "once upon a time." Then she told the story based on the pictures. As a former teacher I thought this was great!
Once story time was over she said she was tired so we both stretched out on the floor. She quickly popped up, covered me with the blanket and then began singing. At first she just made up her own song to put me to sleep. Then she sang over & over, "My chains are gone, I've been set free. My God my Savior has ransomed me. And like a flood His mercy reigns. Unending love, Amazing Grace." When I realized that's what she was singing my eyes filled with tears. It was precious. I was thankful my little girl was singing a praise song to God. I know that she doesn't get what she's singing right now. But I long & pray for the day she gets it and celebrates with us God's amazing grace.
This went on for a while till she felt I needed to be in her bed and she needed to be the one to put me in the bed. Not sure I can paint the picture well but I'll try. I was walking on my knees to the bed. She had her arms around me from behind. Then she kind of lifted/shoved me into her bed. Too funny! She continued singing to put me to sleep but now the fun was waking me up after I closed my eyes. We did this over & over again.
I love that at this age the little things are fun no matter how many times you do it and doing it the same way every time is best. I am so thankful that I get to stay home and enjoy these precious, fun and silly moments with my children. I am blessed that it's me and not someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment